Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Kate's Memorables: Canada Edition

Weather: mostly overcast

Stays: Marriott Harbourfront - concierges floor- NICE! I especially loved how friendly the staff was and the fact that they wore kilts.

Coolest Moments-     Adventures
1) going through customs in Toronto: i had to be pulled aside to immigrations for questions, probably because I had a one way ticket.
2) realizing that it will be legal for me to drink for the rest of my life, and taking advantage of that: molesins, alexander keith's, moosehead, and labatts. canadian brews, eh?
3) running to pier 22 along the boardwalk
4) shopping in historic properties afterdark
5) seeing the citadel and the guards change

Top Food
1)**Alexander Keith's Amber Ale- brewed in nova scotia est. 1820 **
2) maple syrup pasta (salty's upstairs next to the hotel)
3) maple dressing on salad
4) Brewbaker Lobster (5fishermen on Argyle St)
5) Labatt Blue beer


Top "Culture Shocks"
1) thank you, canadian weatherman, for showing me the forecast for yellowknife, northwest territories and iqaluit, nunavut... if the names don't give you the eskimo feeling, just know that they are cities close to the north pole. and youbetchya ya getta knoooww alll aboot that weather up ther yaderhey.
2) canadians say 'a bit' after pretty much everything and everyone is 'folks'
3) maple syrup can be incorporated into any meal (see above Food Section)
4) I had no idea about the halifax explosion and enjoyed hearing about that on the tour today
5) Interesting to hear how much pride Nova Scotia has in its part in history- specifically in the Titanic victim recovery.


Current Events
1) Ted Kennedy's death is all over the news... as i am sure he is in the US. Thoughts: Grandpa (conservative) says that he literally got away with murder with the drowning of that woman. The media-we are watching CNN- (liberal) seems to be remembering him fondly. To me his personal life seems to be a red flag, but his progress in the senate appears to be impeccable. But, I don't really follow politics as much as I should.
2) The Brett Favre Goat- This was all over the news the night before I left and all over the news in the airport.. granted I was in and flew out of Milwaukee. I am just not sure what us Packer fans are supposed to think about this, offended? relieved? are we mad about this? is it funny? I heard the lady, who had the goat, speak on the radio and she said that she just bought it to eat.. I guess it just the fact that it was the first time we saw the number 4 in purple.. even if it was on a goat.

Thoughts, Fears, Hopes
1) Cannot wait for the MV Explorer to arrive tomorrow
2) Fun to hear Grandpa's point of view on the history and culture of nova scotia
3) Missing home of course.
4) Wishing my bffs were here to explore the town with me and nervous/ excited to meet people tomorrow.
5) Got my first charm for my semester charm bracelet: a pewter (because nova scotia is known for it) maple leaf! Exactly what I wanted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment